Monday, May 30, 2011

Nairobi 2nd full day and on

Nairobi 2nd full Day
May 27
Well yesterday proved to be a bust all around. I didn’t do a darn thing all day long. Well I did take a shower, but that was about it. lol
Today is Friday and we are going to the supermarket to day to pick up spices and coffee for Nick. AND I’m going to buy another suitcase to bring with me. My bags are a bit heavy and it will cost me an extra 100 bucks per bag, then my 3rd bag will cost me 200 bucks. So to avoid the extra weight fees I’m buying another bag, and I’ll put the extra stuff in there so the other bags won’t weigh over the limit. Crazy I know, but it’s what I got to do.
Yesterday I made the mistake again of falling asleep in the afternoon.  I should know better than that by now that in doing so only gets me no sleep in the night. Now I have a little headache and I know it’s from little sleep.
Nairobi 3rd full day
May 28
Finally hooked up with Paul Osiago. I met him at the Intercontinental Hotel in Nairobi. Alice and her daughter, Julie, came with me only because Alice wanted to know what tribe Paul is from. Turns out Paul is a Lou (President Obama’s father’s tribe and the current PM) and Alice doesn’t have a lot of nice things to say about Lou people. Interesting I think. Anyway I finally am with Paul and I’m so darn happy. We went to his apartment and it’s so nice. Wood flooring throughout and tile in the kitchen. Paul has decorated the place so nicely, very Kenyan and yet there are American aspects to the space. 
We went out to dinner to a Italian place and oh MAN the food was so good. After that we went to a bar where the big football (soccer) game was on. Barcelona vs Manchester United. Now until recently I’ve never been a soccer fan, but I must say I really like to watch these guys play. The game is fast and the best part is there are no time-outs at all. I don’t totally understand all of the rules of the game, but I like the game. I think I’ve become a fan. OH and the bar was PACKED with people. Lots of guys and more guys. Some were even cute LOL. I actually had a beer there, a White Cap, and it’s a lot like our beer in the states. 
After the game was over, Barcelona won 3-1, we drove to Paul’s apartment and since it was late we went to bed. Not together OK....geessshhh dirty minds people. for shame.
Sunday May 29
We got up had coffee and then took off for the city of Nairobi. The first thing Paul and I did was go to the meat market downtown. This is where the freshly slaughtered meat is sold. It smelled yucky and there was meat everywhere. Beef, chicken, pork, goat, and fish, all kinds of fish available. Paul bought goat, chicken and fish for his mother in law. Apparently the tribe of Paul’s mother in law eat lots of goat, but don’t ask me what tribe that is cause I really don’t know. Then on our way to delivery the meat, we drove past the in-laws and we stopped and talked to them. Turns out we were invited to dinner there. Awesome!  So the rest of the day we drove all over Nairobi, because there essentially was no traffic. Nairobi is a city of almost 5 million people and traffic here is horrendous. I don’t even know how to describe it. From Paul’s place to the airport is about 8miles. Getting there during the week will take up to 2 hours time, and just pray there isn’t an accident cause traffic will come to a full stop and stay that way forever. Anyway, I got a super good look at Nairobi West, East, North and South areas. I saw different schools where I could teach if I wanted, and we drove past the American Embassy.  I wanted to go in, but we were running out of time.
We stopped by a friend of Paul’s but I can’t remember her name, and then we went to his in-laws for dinner. Now dinner was really good. I’m told that normally the father in law feeds people, but he didn’t need to feed me cause I ate. It was so good. The goat was super good and the chicken and rice was delicious. I had a really nice time and the conversation was all in English, which was a huge switch from being in Kitale.  As we were leaving Paul’s father in law said that the door was always open for me to come in. I thought how nice of him to say that.  Once we got home I hit the hay cause I was so tired.
Another day in Nairobi May 30
Got up this am and Paul had to work some, so he dropped me off at Westgate mall where I’m currently sitting and typing on my puter. David Yego is on his way and will be here shortly then we’ll go have a bit to eat. Not that I’m in need of food. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment