Monday, May 23, 2011

Last Day in Kitale Kenya

Last Day in Kitale
May 24
It’s finally here, my last day in Kitale.  Kibet and I are going into town and I’m going to buy him lunch.  I also need to make a couple of stops around town as well.  I’m giving Kibet my modem so he’ll have internet access, so we can email each other as often as we want. 
Being in Kenya has not been easy.  At times its been difficult with the way the culture is so engrained into the lives of the people here.  When I see something that is just wrong I want to shout out, but of all those times it’s been a cultural thing. Here in Kenya culture often overrides Christianity and that is so sad. Traditional marriages happen often (having more than one wife) and no one here sees anything wrong with that.  It’s just another thing I really don’t understand at all, especially when the bible says a man of one wife.  I think what the Kenyan’s do is use the old testament as a foundation. I”m not sure, I could very well be wrong, but that’s what it seems like to me. 
Living on a farm is a total new experience for me as well. It’s nice in the fact that there are birds singing all day long and I can’t get enough of the song birds here. The livestock make all kinds of noises 24/7 and that’s OK too.  Chickens are wandering around the compound all day long, and now that there is a rooster here there’s a lot of crowing. It’s kinda funny cause he gets the morning and afternoons mixed up, but he’s like most male species only thinking with part of his brain. LOL All of this has been educational, but the one thing I won’t miss are the flies. Not sure but there are a constant pain in the ass here on the farm. I won’t miss the cockroaches that are just everywhere here in Kenya, and the many different spiders that I’ve seen. It’s a little disconcerting when bugs scurry across your bed. YEAH, that I won’t miss at all.  
What I will miss are the people, especially the kids that live in and around the compound. There are something like 7 or 8 kids and they run around all day long. They always come up and want to shake my hand and greet me properly. They are so darn cute.  I’ll miss Christie, the house girl here. She works so hard, and yet I don’t think she’s appreciated at all. My prayer for her is that she’ll find a way to support her daughter so she’ll be able to go to school in the new school year. I’ll miss Ednah and how she always says everything is medicinal. She cracks me up. I’ll miss little, well not so little, Michelle. She’s one happy baby, except when she’s pissed off. LOL  And I’ll miss Alice. That woman doesn’t know when to stop or slow down. I wish she would, and take time for herself every now and then.
So I’m off to Nairobi in the early morning. We aren’t taking the bus as originally planned. YEAH  Roseline Yego, the Bishops wife, is going into Nairobi and she will give us a ride.  Hopefully I’ll get to an Internet cafe so I can post another blog before I come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment