Monday, May 30, 2011

Last Night

Last Night
May 24
OK well Alice put on a great dinner and had Steve & Ann Muttai, Jen, and Christine from school over, then Nelson, Sara, and Eunice were here as well. Great food, great fellowship and it was a really nice time. We laughed and ate, just like good baptists LOL
Anyway the school staff gave me a pair of Safari boots as a going away present and a Kikoru and Steve and Ann gave me a map of Kenya. The map is a really cool one that I’ll frame and put up in Dylan’s old room
I’ll really miss Ann and Steve. Talk about nice folks, wow I couldn’t have asked for nicer friends than those two.  
Earlier in the day I met with the Principle and Deputy Principle of Kibomet Secondary School. They gave me a list of students who need assistance with school fees. Most of these student’s are from single parent families, peasants families, and are orphans. This school is a good school and these kids only want a chance to finish through Form 4 or grade 12. Then I went to say goodbye to my class, basically all of Form 1 students. They didn’t know I was still in town because no one had seen me. They were surprised and then sad when I told them I am leaving Kitale and going home tomorrow. One girl even looked like she was crying. I had to leave at that point, but I told the kids that I’ll try my darnest to come back to Kitale and this school.
After dinner, everyone left and I was getting a little more organized for the trip down to Nairobi.  So Alice comes in my room and starts asking me about my stuff that I haven’t packed yet.  I told her anything left here after I’m through is staying here. So then she starts asking me about the stuff on the table that I haven’t put away in my bags yet.  Well most of it is staying the only stuff that going with me is my tooth paste, toothbrush, my comb and brush, and my deorderent.  So she starts to gather up the stuff that’s left. I”m like thinking, can’t you give a girl time to get out of the house before you grab up all of the stuff.  I thought it so odd and yet so Alice.  
Then everyone asks for my stuff that I have. My iPod, MP3 player, phone, and other stuff people were just asking me for it. I kept thinking, well who is going to replace what I leave here?  Alice wants my MP3 player, but it cost 80 bucks, and I don’t have the money to replace it, so I’m taking it with me. I just really don’t get it at all. The senior pastor asked me for a laptop computer, 2 different people asked me for a digital camera, and scores of people asked me for money for school fees. OH and Mike asked me for $$ so he could pay his brother back the money for the motorbike, it’s something like ksh66,000, which converts to about $767. I’m convinced they all think I”m the great white hope or something. So be aware if you come to Kenya, and I think you should, everyone and anyone will ask you for money. Practice saying NO to the mirror, it will save you a lot of time and energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment